- Happy 40th birthday, Beyoncé: singer, songwriter, actress, entrepreneur, philanthropist, activist, fashion icon and all-around boss. Beyoncé has won more Grammy Awards (28) than any other singer in history and more MTV Video Music Awards (24) than any other artist. She was named Billboard Top Female Artist of the Decade. She won a Peabody Award for Lemonade. She is the highest-paid black musician in history. There is a horse fly species native to Queensland, Australia named for her. And she popularized the phrase “put a ring on it”. BOSS.
- Swing Time, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, was released on this day in 1936. Featuring some of the best dance numbers ever put to celluloid, as well as crackling chemistry between the two leads, Swing Time is considered one of the greatest movie musicals of all time. The film also introduced us to the iconic songs “Pick Yourself Up” and “The Way You Look Tonight”, the latter of which won the Oscar for Best Original Song.
- The Price Is Right premiered on this day in 1972. It is America’s longest-running game show, airing over 9,000 episodes, and TV Guide named it the “greatest game show of all time” in 2007. The show’s fiftieth season will premiere on September 13.
- The Hurt Locker made its debut at the 65th Venice International Film Festival on September 4, 2008. The film was released the following June to near universal acclaim and would go on to win six Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director for Kathryn Bigelow – the first woman to receive that honor.
- Season 41 of Survivor will debut on September 22. CBS dropped a preview this week.
- Speaking of fall television, this article has sneak peeks at some of the season’s new and returning series:
The 33 Most Anticipated TV Shows of Fall 2021 (msn.com)
- ABBA has released their first new music in forty years, and they sound amazing!